Is Your Motorcycle CBT on the Police Database?



The Police National Computer is a system where all information about criminal convictions is stored. 

The DVLA is the governing body where the police go for licensing details. 

Save Money On Your Motorcycle Insurance

  • You could pay less than £195*
  • Compare quotes from 25+ UK providers
  • Fill in one form to compare top bike insurers

Check Quotes Now

Is your CBT on the police database?

Your CBT is not on any police database, a CBT is not even recorded with the DVLA; it is a paper-only certificate managed by Approved Training Bodies. (riding schools). 

If the police don’t store the information can I ride without a CBT?

A CBT certificate is only granted to a rider that has completed training to a reasonable standard. The instructor must deem them to be safe and capable when riding alone on public roads. 

It is a legal requirement to undergo compulsory basic training before riding a motorcycle or scooter on L plates

Your CBT certificate is only valid for 2 years from the date you complete the course.

After which, you will have to take part in a CBT renewal course to continue legally riding your motorcycle. 

Should you be pulled over by the police while riding, they will check that your vehicle is MOT’d, insured and taxed

They will likely ask to see your driving license (or provisional) to ensure you have the correct entitlement for your vehicle. 

In some cases, they may ask you to produce your CBT certificate. 

It is, therefore, best practice to always keep your CBT certificate stored on your person when riding your motorcycle; training schools will tell their riders to do this. 

If you do not have your certificate on you, the officer may request that you produce your certificate at the station at a later stage. 

What is the penalty for riding without a CBT?

If you are caught riding without a valid CBT certificate, you could be fined up to £1,000 and receive up to 6 points on your license. 

How to replace a lost or stolen CBT certificate?

If you need to replace your CBT certificate, you should first contact the riding school where you did your training. 

They may charge you up to £20 to replace your certificate for you.

If your certificate was stolen, you would also need to report this to the police.

If the training school you used has since closed down, you need to contact the DVSA, and they should issue you a replacement. You can contact the CBT department at the following email address: [email protected].

For the DVSA to replace your certificate, you will need to supply the name of your training school and their address, the date you did your training and pay the £20 fee.