Motorcycle Tax: The Complete Guide For 2024



All motorcycles on UK roads must be taxed.

Commonly known as motorcycle tax or road tax but officially called Vehicle Excise Duty or VED for short.

The tax bands have been changed many times as Governments have come and gone. Currently most vehicles are assessed based on their C02 emissions.

Motorcycles however are taxed based on their engine size (CC). 

It’s a pretty simple and straightforward process to get your bike taxed so lets dig into the details.

Save Money On Your Motorcycle Insurance

  • You could pay less than £195*
  • Compare quotes from 25+ UK providers
  • Fill in one form to compare top bike insurers

Check Quotes Now

Motorbike and scooter tax rates

So just how much is it going to cost me?

The first job is to find your engine capacity. If you are unsure, it should be listed on your vehicle registration document.

VED rate table

Engine Size (cc)Single 12 Month
12 Monthly Installments by DD
Single 6 Month Payment6 Monthly Installments by DD
Not Over 150£20£20N/AN/A
151-400 £44£44N/AN/A
Over 600£93£93£51.15£48.83

*Source: UK Gov official site

What documents are required?

You will need the motorbikes registration document aka the logbook (V5C) and also proof of insurance.

For motorcycles over three years old, a valid MOT certificate will also be needed.

Recommended Reading: Motorcycle MOT Guide

Where to tax my motorcycle?

Note: Paper tax discs where abolished in 2014 – you no longer need to display a tax disc on your motorcycle nor will one be sent to you when you tax it.

There are several ways to pay:


The quickest and easiest way to pay is online at the DVLA website.

They should already have a record of your motorcycle insurance and MOT status (if required) so tick a few boxes and put in your card details and you should be good to go.

Pay by phone

Contact the DVLA on 0300 123 4321 to pay over the phone. You will need the V5C (logbook) when you call.

Pay at Post Office

Take your logbook, your money and a valid MOT certificate (if required) and pay over the counter.

What if I buy or sell a motorcycle?

Motorcycle tax is not transferable with the bike.

Police are now using digital technology and roadside ANPR cameras to check for untaxed vehicles so don’t be tempted to ride without the proper documents!


if you buy a used bike you will need to tax it before riding. Use the reference number on the new keeper supplement (V5C/2) from the logbook and pay by one of the methods above. (online payment is available 24\7)


When you sell your motorbike, you will automatically receive a refund for any full month’s tax remaining from the DVLA. This will apply from the time the DVLA is notified of the sale.


Some of our most frequently asked questions.

If you need any further guidance, send us an email, and we will try to help.

Are electric motorcycles exempt from road tax?

Yes, the vehicle must be entirely powered by battery; that means no hybrids. Read more about electric motorcycles.
(source: DVLA). Read more about tax-exempt motorcycles.

Are historic or classic motorcycles exempt?

Any motorcycle made before 1 January 1978 is exempt.
(source: DVLA)

How can I check my bikes tax and MOT status?

The DVLA have a handy online tool, just enter your registration number here.

Do I need to display a tax disc?

No, paper tax discs were abolished on the 1st October 2014.