How to Claim Compensation if You Have a Motorcycle Accident


Injured on the roads?

Learning to ride a motorcycle is an exciting and challenging time, but there are certain dangers involved in riding a motorcycle which can’t be ignored.

All riders, new and experienced, should do everything possible to minimise the risk of being involved in an accident. Among other things, this means riding defensively, wearing high visibility clothing, and staying off the roads when weather conditions are bad.

However, there are some accidents that motorcyclists can do nothing to avoid. A significant number of the accidents involving motorcyclists are caused by other road users not seeing the motorcycle.

The good news for bikers is that if you’re involved in a road accident that was caused by someone else, you may be able to claim compensation for any injuries you sustain.

Claiming compensation can help compensate you for the pain and inconvenience caused, cover the costs of any medical treatment you need, and recover any money you’ve lost as a result of having to take time off work to recover.

Am I entitled to compensation?

As a rule of thumb, if you’ve been injured in an accident on the roads, and the accident was caused (at least in part) by another motorist, you may be entitled to compensation.

The accident must have taken place in the last three years, although if you are thinking about claiming compensation, it’s best to start as soon as possible after the accident while you can remember what happened clearly.

The amount of compensation you’re entitled to will depend on a number of things, including how serious your injuries are and whether the other motorist was partially, or wholly, to blame.

How does it work?

A solicitor with experience in road accident claims should be able to tell you very quickly whether you are, in fact, entitled to compensation, and can often handle your claim on a ‘no win no fee’ basis. This simply means that you don’t have to worry about running up expensive legal fees, as if you aren’t awarded compensation, you have nothing to pay.

If your claim is successful, your compensation is paid by the insurance company of the person who was responsible for the accident. The exception to this rule is ‘hit and runs’, or accidents where the motorist responsible is uninsured. Here, insurance is paid by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). All UK motor insurance companies are required to pay into the MIB’s fund each year.